September 24, 2012

Review: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores by Jen Campbell

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores

About the book:

Customer: Have you read every single book in here?

Bookseller: No, I can't say I have.

Customer: Well, you're not very good at your job, are you?

A simple Twitter question posed by John Cleese-"What is your pet peeve?" -inspired Jen Campbell to start a blog collecting all the ridiculous conversations overheard in her bookstore, everything from "Did Beatrix Potter ever write a book about dinosaurs?" to the hunt for a paperback which could forecast the next year’s weather; from "I've forgotten my glasses, please read me the first chapter" to "Excuse me ... is this book edible?"; and from "Can books conduct electricity?" to "My children are just climbing your bookshelves: that's ok... isn't it?"

If we didn't know it already, this irresistible book is proof positive that booksellers are heroes, the world over.

My thoughts:

This wonderful little book is a very quick read, but oh what fun it is! You read it and can't hardly fathom that there are people in this world who would say/ask such things. I mean, I know we're all human and each of us can do some silly stuff once in a while. But the quotes collected here make you shake your head in wonder. It did not take much time to read this one, but it certainly makes you laugh all the way through! Get it and have it handy when you need a pick me up. :) (There is an adult section that you may not want your children reading. It's only one small section, but it is there. Just a heads-up.)

Examples:

(A couple approaches the desk)
Bookseller: Can I help you find something?
Man: Yeah, we're looking for a vocabulary book. It's either called The Soars or The Sars.
Bookseller: Let me look it up and see what we have.
Woman: Oh, it's ok, I made a note of the title.
(Customer pulls a napkin from her purse and lays it down for the bookseller to read. Written on it is: "The Saurus.")
 -----
Customer: Do you have any books on Japan?
Bookseller: Sure. A travel guide or a history?
Customer: Yes.
Bookseller: Which one?
Customer: Both.
Bookseller: Right.
Customer: ...And it should also have stories for children.
Bookseller: ...
Customer: Illustrated.
Bookseller: ...
Customer: And it has to be a hardback, not a paperback. And it should be a good price.
Bookseller: ...
Customer: A really nice old edition, with a modern twist.
Bookseller: ...I'm really not sure what kind of book you're looking for.

Toodle-loo kangaroos!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds hilarious! Thanks for the rec.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly-it is hilarious! I totally laughed all the way through. I love books that make me laugh out loud and make other people look at me strange. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...