May 18, 2013

Fairy Tales

"Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The babe has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imaginationWhat the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
G. K. Chesterton




I think maybe what resonates in fairy tales and fantasy stories (at least for me), is the idea that ordinary people can do amazing things! Yes, some have the help of magic and such, but most of the time the villains are defeated by someone who simply needed to realize how strong they actually are on the inside. And that good will defeat evil!

That's true for us too. That's why it resonates. Because we need reminded that we are all: ordinary people learning that we have the power to do extraordinary things!



12 comments:

  1. And this is why I love superhero movies, good sci-fi, good fantasy, and good action movies (good = not just there so we can invent more aliens or creatures or have more explosions). Because they are where I find people struggling to overcome not only terrible evil, but also their own shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette, I agree completely! Whether watching or reading about someone overcoming their own shortcomings, it gives hope to us. It reminds us, that though it may be a fiction story, each of us really do have the power to overcome in real life. :)

      Delete
  2. I love it! :) Fairy tales are my favorite reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluerose, I love fairy tales too! Just got a couple from the library today and can't wait to start them. :)

      Delete
  3. Sweet post.
    I love Fairy Tales in all the forms, I love the affirmation of the idea that evil can be defeated no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! Fairy tales are awesome, aren't they? I love that affirmation they give too. Because we all need reminding of it. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm with you guys, fairy tales are awesome. I love how some movies have re-invented them. I'm thinking Snow White and the Huntsman, or Red Riding Hood. Or better yet, that Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters movies. I adored those. And Kara, I LOVE that quote you found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giulia! Isn't that quote great? I loved it immediately. And it's so true!

      I like how they've reinvented fairy tales too. Change up the stories and make me fall in love with them all over again! :)

      Delete
  5. Love this short, but lovely post! I love fairy-tales and all things make-believe, it resonates with my whimsical, yet melancholy soul. And that quote at the beginning? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kellie! Whimsical, yet melancholy-love that description! :)

      I absolutely loved that quote when I first read it. Such a great way to explain how it works!

      Delete
  6. Seriously one of the greatest quotes ever. Thank you for introducing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awesome?! Always glad to share lovely quotes. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...