May 9, 2015

Review: This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

13138734
Wow! That was my first reaction upon reading the final pages of this book. No worries that the middle story in this trilogy will let you down. The tension only rises! These authors clearly know what they're doing. :)

While book one had great mystery and romance, in this one the secrets are taken to a new level. The enigma of Avon and all the unknowns makes for a perfect mix of emotions and unease for our characters. I can only admire the skill of the writers to hint at all these secrets and give us just enough answers to satisfy for now, yet keep our suspense and curiosity excited for more! Because that's what I enjoyed the most about this story. The romance was lovely, of course, but the careful balance both Lee and Flynn have to walk in every single minute of their lives makes for splendid storytelling. Never knowing for sure who to trust and who not to, or even whether people they trust will let them down in the next circumstance.

But that's not to say that the romance portions aren't fun! Because these two have chemistry galore. Watching them tiptoe around their attraction (or sometimes even stomp their way through!) is quite entertaining. They aren't entirely sure that they can even trust each other (understandably so, as you will see), but yet they can't deny that their hearts are affected. Their romance is a little slower than Lilac and Tarver's (from These Broken Stars) simply because more of the focus of the story is on all the secrecy and questions. Which is not a bad thing at all!

I love the atmosphere of this series! It becomes even more noticeable in this story because Avon is such a huge part of the plot. The planet is dark and mysterious and unknown, even for the people who have lived there all their lives. It almost feels like a character itself with its strangeness. There's simply something about it that intrigues and make you desire to know what makes it thus.

Consequently, I finished this book wishing that book three were out already. Because I want more answers! There's still much that needs explained and with the hints of who our next main characters will be, I am beyond excited to learn more about them! That's one thing in particular that I absolutely love about this series. The fact that it's a continuing story, yet each book can be read by itself and even stand alone pretty well. I ended the first two books quite satisfied with their conclusions, yet still salivating for more story. And that's what a fabulous series will do. Kudos to Ms. Kaufman and Ms. Spooner! :)

He starts to move forward again, and this time I'm snapping back before I have time to think. "You can stay right where you are."
My fingers clench around the ropes binding my hands. It's not like I can do anything to him if he comes. Maybe I could sweep his legs from under him, but it wouldn't be enough to take him out, and even if it was--what then?
But he stops anyway, watching me in silence. After a while he slings the strap of the canteen over his shoulder and crosses his arms. "How're you feeling?" His smile is insulting.
You dragged me out of my bar, shot me, forced me to breathe chemical fumes, took me into the middle of nowhere, then tied me to a post in an underground cave. How do you think I'm feeling?
But I'll tear my own arms off trying to get free before I'll give him the satisfaction of an honest reply. I smile back at him, giving it every ounce of malice I can summon. "Just peachy, Romeo. How's your leg?"
His smile vanishes, and I see the subtle shift of his weight from one foot to the other. I wonder who pulled the hot-pink plastic out of his leg, and if they gave him a hard time for it.
"It's the least of my problems."
"Your problems? Romeo, you shouldn't have brought me home if you didn't think Mom and Dad would like me."


2 comments:

  1. Yay! This sounds fabulous. I'll admit to not being quite as interested in this one as I was with book one (why I do not know... maybe because it's a new couple?), but now I'm eager to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy this one even more than book one, Rissi. So I'll be anxious to know what you think of it if/when you read it! Because I thought it very fabulous indeed. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the internet! :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...